Thursday, November 17, 2011

Symphonic Rock Singers

I'm really into symphonic rock especially from Nightwish (the first symphonic rock band that I ever heard), Within Temptation, and Epica.  What I find really strange is that people compare Tarja Turunen (former singer of Nightwish), Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation), and  Simmon Simmons (Epica) to each other.  One comment I saw on "Cry for the Moon live at Pinkpop" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9oHNBth2Ak) was "She (Simmon Simmons) sucks Tarja is best singer."

I find it strange that people compare the three, since even though all three bands are classified as symphonic rock, the three groups are so different from each other in the style of their music.  Nightwish uses the combination of a female lead singer and male lead singer really well, Within Temptation has a nice classical feel, and Epica uses a nice blend of a lead female vocalist with screamo male backup vocals.  Personally, I think all three singers are great singers and the bands perform great music.

Nighwish's End of an Era Concert:

Within Temptation "All I Need" and "Ice Queen" from their Black Symphony concert

Epica at Wacken 2009




No comments: